From Zazen Life
April 20, 2012
Personal information is displayed publicly on the website including your address, your images, your Email address and even your income/wealth.
To get a good idea on how dangerous it can be, visit the site here and simply type in your name or Email.
If you tried it out, you probably realized that Spokeo displays your address visually on google maps. I was freaked out too when I looked myself up.
Spokeo was developed by former Stanford student and company CEO Harrison Tang. He unsurprisingly blocked his own personal information from Spokeo searches.
I wonder why.
The website has recently been called “The online yellow pages for stalkers.”
Remove Your Name From Spokeo
So how do you remove yourself from Spokeo.com?
Follow these simple steps:
- Go to Spokeo.com and type in your name.
- Copy the URL when it brings up your information
- Go to the bottom of the page and Paste the URL in the box provided
- Include your email address (it gives you further instructions via email)
- Enter the code
- Go to your email and click on the link they provide to you
- Confirm the directory listing has been deleted
- Go back to Spokeo.com and put in your name to be sure it was deleted
Privacy on the internet has become a growing problem because of sites like this. For some ridiculous reason they are allowed to continue displaying everyone’s personal information, so all we can do is take ourselves off of the their list for now.